How can I build a wood gasifier for my truck and generator?

• Thread starter Ftheog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wood
In summary, a forum member came across a thread discussing a wood gasifier and its potential use for running vehicles and generators. They asked for advice on how to build one and were recommended to post their question in the forum. The video linked in the conversation also showcases a wood gasifier being used for a truck and generator. There are plenty of resources available online for building a wood gasifier, both from a hobby and technical standpoint.
Ftheog
hey guys, I came to your great forum because of a tv episode on nat geo the other night. Evo posted a thread that is creating a lot of waves in the prepping community

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=510194"

but anywho I digress, I asked a question about building the wood gasifier and Evo suggested I post this here, on this part of the video you can see they built a wood gasifier to run their truck and genny, any ideas how I can go about doing this? thanks for your time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=20fjEKnjDxU"

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
bueller, bueller, forest? bueller

ben-stein.jpg

I'm sure you've already Googled "wood gasifier" and seen the large number of webpages and articles on it from a hobby or survivalist or back-to-nature perspective. If you want a more technical source of information you might check out the text Biomass Gasification and Pyrolysis: Practical Design and Theory by Basu.

1. What is a wood gasifier for a prepper?

A wood gasifier is a device that converts wood or other biomass into a clean-burning gas that can be used to power generators, stoves, and other equipment. It is often used by preppers as a sustainable and renewable source of energy in emergency situations.

2. How does a wood gasifier work?

A wood gasifier works by heating wood or other biomass in a low-oxygen environment, causing it to break down into a mixture of gases including carbon monoxide, hydrogen, and methane. This gas is then filtered and cooled before being used as fuel.

3. What are the benefits of using a wood gasifier for preppers?

One of the main benefits of using a wood gasifier for preppers is that it provides a reliable source of energy that can be used in the event of power outages or other emergencies. It is also a sustainable and renewable source of energy, making it a more environmentally friendly option compared to traditional fossil fuels.

4. What are the limitations of a wood gasifier for preppers?

While wood gasifiers can be a useful tool for preppers, they do have some limitations. For one, they require a constant supply of wood or other biomass to operate, which may not be readily available in some situations. They also require regular maintenance and can be bulky and difficult to transport.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a wood gasifier for preppers?

As with any type of fuel-burning device, there are safety concerns to consider when using a wood gasifier. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and instructions when operating the device, and to make sure that the gas is properly filtered and cooled before use. It is also essential to have proper ventilation to avoid the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.